Experienced, Compassionate and Effective Advocacy

As a divorced parent, can I move far away for a new job?

On Behalf of | Dec 24, 2021 | Child Custody

After a divorce, you likely can’t get up and move across the country with your children, as your ex would then have no ability to see them. But what if there’s a good reason to move? What if you are offered a job in another state that pays twice as much money as you make now?

A new job may dramatically improve the standard of living that your children enjoy. Are you allowed to move and take that job, or do you have to wait until the children grow up and your child custody agreement ends?

The court will accept some reasons to move

In order to move legally with your children, you may have to go to court and ask for a modification to your custody agreement that allows you to live a certain distance from your ex. You may have to set up a new schedule so that your ex can still see the children or interact with them in some way.

The good news is that the court will accept some reasons to move. They don’t want you to move for no reason at all or to intentionally keep your ex from seeing the kids, but that doesn’t mean that the court believes you can never move again. Reasons that they accept often include things like improving your standard of living, taking a new job, moving closer to your extended family or going back to school.

If you have a valid reason like this, moving may be possible. Learn about the legal steps to take so that you don’t accidentally violate your custody order.