A person’s family relationships and career are often two critical parts of their lives. Since they are such significant priorities, events in one area can often impact the other. For example, when individuals have troubles in their personal life, it can be difficult to focus at work.
Getting a divorce is one such event that could potentially impact both an individual’s personal life and professional life.
How might a divorce impact your career?
Every divorce and every career are different. There is no way to predict how a divorce might impact someone’s work.
Regardless, there are a few challenges individuals should be aware of, including:
- It might be difficult to focus at work, which could lead to poor work performance or other consequences;
- Individuals might cut their hours at work to handle matters in their divorce; or
- On the other hand, others might dedicate more time to work to distract themselves from the divorce.
It is also no secret that a divorce can often leave individuals facing financial challenges. Virginia law requires divorcing spouses to divide their assets equitably. This includes the income and benefits they receive through work. Even while individuals continue working and earning income during their divorce, they might face financial challenges.
Tips to manage your career during your divorce
Thankfully, individuals have the power to mitigate the effects their divorce might have on their careers. These steps include, but are not limited to:
- If individuals are comfortable doing so, they should speak with their manager about what they are going through. Their manager might be able to help them reduce stress at work during the divorce proceedings;
- Create a strategy to improve work-life balance, to reduce their stress both at work and in their personal life; and
- Stick to a budget during the divorce and immediately after it is finalized. That way, individuals can minimize financial challenges.
The stress that divorce can put on your life and your career can be overwhelming, but the attorneys at Bowen Ten Long & Bal, PC, are dedicated to reducing that stress by helping you through every step of your divorce. It is our goal to help secure your future for the next chapter after divorce.