Bowen Ten PC is open and working to protect the interests of our clients during this time of national emergency. At the same time, Bowen Ten PC is protecting the health and safety of our clients, staff and attorneys. Bowen Ten PC is discouraging in-person visits to our offices until further notice. Bowen Ten PC is available to both existing and new clients by phone, email and other means. You can also email us through this site using the “Contact Us Today” button. All the attorneys will have access to their emails during this time.
The lawyers and staff at Bowen Ten PC are here and ready to help you solve your legal problems.
Bowen Ten PC
Schedule a consultation : 804-767-6850
The differences between types of child support cases

The differences between types of child support cases

Parents in Virginia may find the topic of child support to be somewhat confusing as there are multiple ways payments can be arranged. However, the different types of child support cases are necessary as they are needed by the government to keep track of the children and families that require the extra financial support.

In IV-D child support cases, the custodial parents receive assistance from the Office of Child Support Enforcement. The agency may assist with creating and enforcing child support orders, finding non-custodial parents or determining the paternity of children.

IV-A cases are those in which the assistance that the custodial parents receive is provided by the state. The state will contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement about the IV-A cases so that the agency can try to obtain child support payments directly from the non-custodial parents.

In IV-E cases, the children are in the care of individuals who are not their parents. For example, they may be cared for by their grandparents or in the foster care system. Like the IV-A cases, the IV-E cases are referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement so that non-custodial parents can pay the child support payments directly.

Child support cases that are handled privately are classified as non-IV-D cases. If they are referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, they will be reclassified as IV-D cases.

Child support is a vital factor in ensuring that children have what they need. If the circumstances of a family situation change, the kind of child support that is needed may change as well.

A family law attorney may advocate on behalf of parents who have disputes regarding child support payments. The attorney could file the necessary court documents to initiate enforcement measures to collect on delinquent child support payments.

FindLaw Network