- Family Law
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Protective Orders
- Child Custody
- Equitable Distribution
Nupur S. Bal is a Partner at Bowen Ten PC and practices exclusively in the area of family law. She concentrates her practice exclusively in family law and divorce including child and spousal support, asset distribution and premarital and postnuptial agreements. She is licensed to practice in the District of Columbia, Tennessee, the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States Supreme Court.
As an experienced litigator, she has handled hundreds of complex trials, settlement conferences and mediations. Ms. Bal places a great deal of value on maintaining the dignity and privacy of her clients, while working closely with them to meet their goals. She possesses a dedication to her clients that lends itself to successful representation, whether that means courtroom advocacy or zealous representation in mediation.
Ms. Bal is a past chair of the Virginia Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division and member of the Board of the Governors for the organization, as well as the recipient of the VBA’s Sandra P. Thompson award for long time service. She has been named to Virginia Business magazine’s Legal Elite for the last several years and is a Virginia "Super Lawyer" by Richmond Magazine. She is also AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest ranking for legal ability and ethical standards.
In 2015, Ms. Bal was recognized as one of the “Influential Women of the Year” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly and was also a recipient of the Richmond Times Dispatch Readers’ Choice Award. She also received the distinction of being named in the Top 40 under Forty by the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. In 2017, she received the distinct honor of being named one of Style Weekly’s Top 40 under 40 and was inducted into the University of Richmond’s Omicron Delta Kappa leadership society. In 2018, Ms. Bal was named as one of Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s Leaders in the Law. In 2020, Ms. Bal was named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America".
Ms. Bal serves her community through civic involvement in several organizations. She is a board member for the Junior Board of the Children's Hospital Foundation, a past board member of the Metro Richmond Women's Bar Association (and continuing legal education chair for the organization), a member of the parent admissions committee at Collegiate School and the immediate past chair of the Food & Beverage committee for the Country Club of Virginia. In the past, she served as a Board Member for SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now), a local nonprofit, and also on the Center for Teaching the Rule of Law Advisory Council. At the request of the Supreme Court of Virginia, she sat on the Virginia Access to Justice Commission Pro Bono Coordinating Consortium. Most recently, she joined the Board of Directors for the YWCA of Richmond, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate racism and empower women.
She has been granted many speaking engagements including serving as a panelist for several forums at the University of Richmond School of Law and at Virginia Bar Association meetings on emerging issues in relocation cases and international service of process under the Hague service convention.
Ms. Bal received her bachelor’s degree from Emory University and her Juris Doctor degree from the Tulane University School of Law. She lives in Manakin Sabot with her husband Bikram Bal, a gastroenterologist in the area, and their son, Rajvir, who attends Collegiate School.
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
Honors & Awards
- 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Virginia “Super Lawyer” by Law and Politics, Richmond Magazine
- People’s Choice Award, Richmond Times Dispatch
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Sandra P. Thompson Award, Virginia Bar Association
- AVVO 10.0 Rating
- Style Weekly’s Top 40 under 40
- 40 Most Influential Women in Virginia, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Class of 2015
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business Magazine
- Top 40 under Forty, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- National Leadership Honor Society, Honoris Causa
- Virginia Super Lawyer
- 2018 Leaders in the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly
- Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- Metro Richmond Family Bar Association
- American Inn of Court
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association, Board, CLE Chair
- Virginia State Bar, Bench & Bar Relations Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Virginia Bar Association, Domestic Relations Council, Past Young Lawyers Division Chair, Committee on Nominations to Virginia Appellate Courts , Present
- Henrico Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Children’s Hospital Foundation, Junior Board member, 2017 to Present
- Country Club of Virginia, Food & Beverage Advisory Committee Chair, 2017 to 2018
- Virginia Access to Justice Commission Pro Bono Coordinating Consortium, 2016 to Present
- Center for Teaching the Rule of Law, Rule of Law Lawyers’ Advisory Council, 2013 to 2015
- Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now), Board of Young Professionals Member, 2012 to 2014
- YWCA Richmond, Board of Directors, 2018 to Present
- The Collegiate School, Winter Gala & Auction Chair, 2019
- Conversational Spanish
Classes & Seminars
- Panelist, University of Richmond, Women Law Students Association
- Speaker, Virginia Bar Association Annual Meeting