Mary Kate Zekert
To her clients, Mary Kate Zekert is a zealous advocate and compassionate counselor. Since joining the firm in 2014, Mary Kate has had the privilege of being a problem solver for people experiencing a broad range of legal issues. These legal issues have included matters such as child custody, divorce, child support, protective orders, misdemeanor charges, landlord/ tenant disputes, and civil litigation.
Mary Kate recognizes that most legal issues are unplanned and are usually inconvenient, and because of this she strives to put her clients at ease by helping them navigate the court system and this unfamiliar territory. She does this by prioritizing client communication and client preparation. Additionally, Mary Kate understands that legal representation can be expensive, which why it is important to Mary Kate that her clients receive good value for their money by providing quality representation while keeping her clients financial resources in mind.
Public service is also an important part of Mary Kate's practice. Mary Kate was selected to be a member of the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals CJA Appellate Panel, representing indigent defendants in their appeals from Federal District Court to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mary Kate is also certified by the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission to represent indigent defendants for misdemeanor charges. Additionally, Mary Kate is a Virginia Supreme Court certified Guardian ad Litem and serves in Henrico County. Mary Kate was selected by the Super Lawyers Rising Star List in 2017 for Family Law. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at: https://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html .
To her family and community she is a daughter, sister, friend, storyteller, and college football enthusiast. Mary Kate is a Richmond native and graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2011. She left the Commonwealth to experience the land of William Faulkner and SEC football at the University of Mississippi where she graduated in December 2013.
Mary Kate serves as Secretary on the Board of Directors for Safe Harbor, an organization that provides the support that survivors of sexual and domestic violence need to overcome their crisis and to transform their lives. She is a member of the Richmond Junior League where she serves a committee member for Families First-- Early Education where she is tasked with coordinating regular programs for families in East Henrico on a variety of topics including reading, self-esteem, health issues, practical life skills, and educational enrichment. Mary Kate is also a member and regularly attends City Church in Richmond, Virginia. In her spare time she enjoys escaping to the Rappahanock Rivah, cheering for the Hokies and Rebels (for better or for worse), and spending time with her family and friends.
Areas of Practice
- 70% Family Law
- 20% Criminal Defense
- 10% Civil Litigation
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 2014
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2014
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi
- J.D. - 2013
- Honors: Moot Court Board Member
- Law Review: Mississippi Sports Law Review, Senior Executive Notes Editor, 2012 - 2013
- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- B.A. cum laude - 2011
- Major: Political Science
- Speaker, GLSA Spring Conference, Philadelphia, PA, Group Legal Services Association
- Speaker, THRIVE Mom
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer Rising Star: Family Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association, Member, 2014 - Present
- Henrico Bar Association, Member, 2014 - Present
- Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association, Member, 2014 - Present
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association, Member , 2014 - Present
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2014 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- The Honorable Joseph J. Ellis, Summer Law Clerk, 2013
- New Jersey Attorney General's Office Civil Division, Summer Law Clerk, 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Central Virginia Legal Aid Richmond, Virginia, 2014
- North Mississippi Legal Services Oxford, MS, 2013